The classic tale of a Nigerian woman who overcomes strict tribal domination
only to encounter hardships of immigration.
In the late 1960s, Adah, a spirited, resourceful woman, manages to move her
family to London. Seeking an independent life for herself and her children, she
encounters racism and hard truths about being a new citizen.
'Bold, brave, defiant... its exploration of blackness, the white gaze, and the development of the main character Adah's sense of self is extremely powerful' Gal-dem
- Author: Buchi Emecheta
- Series: Penguin Modern Classics
- Format: Paperback / softback 224 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd
- Imprint: Penguin Classics
- Classifications: Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
- Readership: General (US: Trade)
- Weight: 168g
- Dimensions: 129 x 206 x 18 (mm)